Friday, January 8, 2010

Love or Lust at First Sight?

I was at the Ale House with some friends and an interesting topic came up; does love at first sight exist? 


Now, I took a minute to ponder about the question because I remember a much younger me and believing that it did exist and that I would get the chance to experience that because it seemed so magical. I envisioned meeting this "perfect man" and I would instantly know that he would be my husband. But I soon grew older and experienced a broken heart and broke some hearts, which led me to believe that it only exists in movies, which also made me realize how much power the media has on us. 


My two other friends and I concluded that it was not love, it couldn't be. We decided to call it "lust at first sight" because realistically, that's what we feel that is. At first sight technically means the first time you lay eyes on a person, which means that it is a physical attraction. You don't know what type of person he/she is. They can have completely different beliefs, different habits and/or vices, etc. Someone that you may never envision yourself being with, just because you feel in "love at first sight".


My two other friends felt differently. They felt that they could genuinely fall in love with someone the first time they met them and one of them stated that she had. I am a true believer in everyone having their own opinion and if you have the facts to back it up then you should stick with what you believe, but also be open to listen to other people's opinions as well because you might be surprised about what you learn. With that being said, I didn't get much from them except that they believed it was possible. She said that you would just know when you saw that person. Maybe it does exist for some people, but for me I'm content with the love that I've found.


I think that people are more focused on finding this magical love that they forget to look in front of them and actually take love for what it really is. Love is a very complicated and beautiful thing that everyone should experience and you shouldn't hold back because you're looking for that magical 1st moment. 


What do you guys think?

2 comments:

Damnpops said...

Love at first sight i don't know.....lust at first sight,I've experienced that,lol that for sure must exist as we all are attracted to each otha n it sets off things in our minds, love is a deep feeling that i doubt you can connect on just from one's sight. Maybe that intense feeling emotionally you get at first is merely an infatuation, I happen to think that's more prevalent that love itself sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I definitely don't think love at first sight is possible... love is too deep and can't just happen. You have to know who a person really is in order to love them, and you don't know that at first. Lust at first sight is definitely possible though.